Prep 3 hrs
Cook 48 hrs
This recipe came from a wonderful Korean friend. She brought it to my first son's graduation as a "dish to Pass" and I have ordered it for my other 3 boys graduation parties and several other special occasions. Have your butcher freeze the meat slightly to get the right thickness. Be sure to use the highest setting your grill or keep the charcoal at a high temperature. Some fat is okay.
- 10 lbs lean beef tip roast (sliced like thin bologna) or 10 lbs venison, hind quarter (sliced like thin bologna)
- 1 1⁄4 cups salt
- 3 cups onions
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, soaked in warm water for at least 1 hour
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs white sugar
- 8 -10 cups soy sauce, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 2 cups rice wine
- 1 (2 liter) bottleregular Pepsi or 1 (2 liter) bottle Coke
- 1 bunch scallion, cut into 1/8 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons msg (optional)
- Thaw meat if it is still slightly frozen.
- Place in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let set for 30 minutes.
- DO NOT SQUEEZE.
- Clean onion, ginger and garlic.
- Garlic should"slip" right out of it's skin if soaked long enough.
- Process in food processor until thoroughly minced.
- Sprinkle sugar on drained meat.
- Mix with your hands until sugar is melted.
- Gradually stir in onion/garlic/ginger mixture.
- Mix in until disbursed throughout meat.
- Pour soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice wine over meat.
- Let set for about 30 minutes.
- You may need to add more soy sauce if meat is not easily turned in marinade.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4 bottle Pepsi or Coke over meat.
- Sprinkle with MSG.
- Sprinkle scallions over meat and stir.
- Invert a ceramic plate and place over meat.
- Cover meat and plate with plastic wrap and weigh it down with a quart jar full of water.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- If using a gas grill, start and place on highest setting.
- If using charcoal, allow charcoal to become white before using.
- Add a few briquettes as you go along to keep the fire hot.
- Pour meat into a colander allow to drain for several minutes.
- Replace meat to bowl.
- You will have some marinade left over.
- Place single layer meat on grill for abut 45 seconds per side.
- It will blacken on the tips, but do not allow to blacken in the middle.
- The pieces should glisten.
- Place in an electric roaster set at low until finished.
- Drizzle some of the marinade over done pieces so they do not dry out.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.