Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is from Bon Appetit who got the recipe from Camp Robber Cafe in Montrose, CO. Absolutely YUMMY!
For the Poppyseed Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
For the Barbecue Sauce
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
For the Croutons
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup day-old bread, crust removed and cubed into 1/3-inch cubes
For the Salad
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- For the poppy seed dressing: Whisk sugar, rice vinegar, onion and mustard powder in a small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in poppy seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- For the Asian Barbecue Sauce: Whisk hoisin sauce, oil, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper in a small bowl to blend. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.).
- For the Croutons: Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, basil and oregano and stir 1 minute. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute until croutons are golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- For Salad: Prepare barbecue to medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; brush with oil. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Brush chicken with some Asian barbecue sauce. Grill 1 minutes longer per side. Transfer chicken to work surface; let stand 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- Place lettuce and croutons in large bowl. Toss with 1/2 cup dressing. Dived lettuce mixture among 4 plates. Garnish with tomatoes and grilled chicken strips. Drizzle chicken with barbecue sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Delicious!!! I will def make this again. The chicken was moist and flavorful. I used a tiny bit of dressing because it had a bit much of sugar (but was delicious). I also added broccoli slaw (from trader joes) which gave it a nice crunch.
Yummy, yummy, yum! This salad was great. I loved the poppy seed dressing (so easy to make, too). I enjoyed the barbecue sauce (again, so easy to make). I skipped the croutons this time, but might make them next time. This chicken was fabulous. I actually grilled them on the Foreman grill because SOMEONE forgot to get a propane refill for the big grill. The dressing and sauce was made as directed, and I don't believe I would change a thing. As a side note, my DS didn't want the salad so he had the chicken with a side of steamed rice, and added more sauce to it. He ate 2 breasts, so I'm assuming he enjoyed it. Will most definitely make this again, and thanks for posting!