Prep 6 hrs
Cook 35 mins
From Cooking Light May 2008
- 29.58 ml minced green onions
- 14.79 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 44.37 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 29.58 ml dry sherry
- 7.39 ml hoisin sauce
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 2.46 ml sambal oelek
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 star anise
- 4 bone in skinless chicken breast halves
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade. Pour marinade into a large skillet; stir in broth. Arrange chicken in a bamboo steamer coated with cooking spray; cover with steamer lid.
- Place bamboo steamer in pan; bring marinade mixture to a boil. Steam the chicken 18 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in center of breasts registers 165°F Transfer chicken to a platter.
- Remove steamer from pan. Strain marinade mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return marinade mixture to pan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup; about 2 minutes. Serve sauce with chicken.
This was so good!!!! I made as is except I don't have a bamboo steamer so I cooked the chicken in a pan. The marinade was wonderful and the chicken was tender and full of flavour. I just boiled the marinade in a saucepan before adding a little cornflour to thicken. I served mine over stir fried vegetables and then drizzled sauce over the top of the sliced chicken. This is a definite keeper I made an extra breast so I had left overs for my teenage son to eat tonight. Even with it being reheated he said it was one of the best meals he has had in ages and loved the flavours. I served his with egg fried rice to fill him up. Absolutely gorgeous!!!