Recipe by MA HIKER
These soft bread sticks are delicious right out of the oven! They are nice sprinkled with coarse salt, and might even be better with coarse salt mixed with chopped pine nuts! I used my bread machine to make the dough. Active prep time includes the 1 1/2 hour bread machine dough making time.
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese, freshly grated
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted (toast in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, stir halfway through)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons water
- coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the baby spinach leaves and microwave for 3 minutes. Drain & cool in colander. Then coarsely chop.
- Separate the egg and put the yolk in your bread machine pan. Save the white for the glaze.
- Put the remaining ingredients (except 2 tsp water and coarse salt) into bread pan in order suggested by your bread machine instructions.
- My breadman recommends wet ingredients first (egg, water, oil, honey, spinach leaves)with flour and pine-nuts next. Then put salt in off to one side and make a well in the flour for the yeast. Finally sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Set machine for dough, press start.
- Grease two baking sheets.
- Make a wash of the egg white and 2 tsp water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When dough is ready, remove from bread machine and punch down.
- Cut the dough into 16 pieces.
- Roll each pieces between your palms to form a rope about 6 inches long.
- Place breadsticks on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Brush breadsticks with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse salt (and chopped pine-nuts if desired).
- Bake bread sticks until golden, about 20 minutes.