Recipe by Jezski
No fear...it's not as much work as it may seem. Lots of passive cooking time here. Great for hors-d'oeuvres with a little cheese spread, pate' or what-have-you! Terrific as bruschetta. This just may be the most-liked bread I make. A pre-shredded 3-cheese combination is also very good. I have no clue as to the provenance of this recipe, been making it for a while.
Top Review by DAR Lady
I've been making this bread, sans the sugar, for about 3 years. It's the best cheese bread I have ever eaten. You can actually taste the cheese. I, like another reviewer, can make a meal of it. I love it for breakfast toasted and buttered. IMHO, no other cheese except Asiago will give you the great favor. I buy the wedge of Asiago at Walmart and can make two loaves from it. For me, nothing else is needed in this recipe. I cannot knead by hand any more but I make this in my KA with a dough hook and process for 9 minutes on the (2) setting once all ingredients are incorporated. Turns out beautifully.
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 1⁄4 cups asiago cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and pepper. Melt butter in milk to 120-130 degrees. Stir milk mixture into flour mix until smooth. Stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Gradually stir in about 2 cups flour to make soft dough. Knead in mixer or by hand until smooth and elastic, adding flour if needed.
- Oil large bowl, add dough, turn to coat. Cover with clean damp towel and let double. (It may take 2-1/2 hours, must be the cheese.).
- Punch down, form into 2 long thin loaves. Spray baking sheet, (sprinkled with cornmeal?) Or use baguette pans. Place loaves on pan, let raise, covered, until doubled (45 min.) Preheat oven to 375.
- Slash dough with serrated knife. Brush with lightly beaten egg and sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. (basil, parsley, opt.) Bake 30-35 minutes till done. Cool on rack.