Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 egg, well beaten
- coarse salt
- sesame seeds
- poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare dry hot roll mix according to package directions, adding cheddar and 1/4 cup Asiago cheese.
- Divide dough equally into 12 pieces; roll each piece with hands on a lightly floured countertop to form 15-inch ropes.
- Form each rope into pretzel by stretching and braiding.
- From inside, pull apart the sides to form three even-size holes between compartments leaving plenty of room for raising of dough.
- Place 3 inches apart on 2 nonstick cookie sheets.
- Brush pretzels with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and coarse salt or optional toppings over pretzels.
- Bake until golden brown, about 16 to 18 minutes.
- Immediately transfer pretzels to a wire cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with mustard, if desired.
- Pretzels may be stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to four days.