Recipe by gemini08
Succulent chicken drumsticks that are falling off the bone in a delicious Ponzu based Sauce. Serve over rice or sesame noodles, accompanied by a cup of green tea for a delicious, satisfying and easy dinner. Created for the "Dining on a Dollar" contest.
Top Review by Baby Kato
We really enjoyed this lovely asian inspired dish. So many wonderful flavor and great textures. It was delicious served with party mashed potatoes. I made this exactly as written except that I used orange peppers instead of red, I was out of the red. I also didn't use the slurry, (personal preference only). This dish smelled so intoxicating while it was cooking. It was perfectly spiced and seasoned. I was afraid the 5 spice might be over powering but it was perfection. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Gread use of contest ingredients, good luck in the contest.
- 8 -10 chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup ponzu sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water, for slurry
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the ponzu sauce, ketchup, maple syrup, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, sesame seeds and crumbled, dried oregano in a large Mason Jar, screw on the lid and shake vigorously until well blended.
- Pour the sauce in the Crock Pot and set to HIGH, put the lid on.
- Remove the skin from the chicken drumsticks, rinse them, pat them dry, rub the 5 Spice Powder all around and add them to the sauce in the crockpot.
- In the meantime, prepare the Peppers by removing the core and white membranes, cutting them into 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch squares.
- After 2 - 21/2 hours on high, add the Peppers to the Crockpot and set for another hour on high.
- Make a cornstarch slurry and whisk into the sauce during the last 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Check drumsticks fore doneness, the meet should come easy off the bone.