Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A cooling accompaniment for curries from Asia Nora Restaurant
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt, drained if possible
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- If you have time, put the yogurt in a cheese cloth-lined colander and drain it in the refrigerator for at least one hour, preferably more. This will produce a thick yogurt, which when mixed with the cucumber will produce a thicker and less watery raita.
- Squeeze the grated cucumber very well between your fingers to drain it. This prevents the raita from being too watery. Mix the cucumber with the yogurt, cumin and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This is a good basic raita. I liked the fresh mint addition. I used Balkan (thick) yogurt and didn't drain it, English cucumber, plus the rest. I may make this again.
Made for Gimme 5 Tag game. This was great Marra...I had it with my chicken curry,basmati rice and Naan Bread.I like the pinch of cumin and loved the mint...very nice!
This was really good and ever so easy! After grating the cucumber, I let it drain for about 30 minutes then squeezed out the remaining juice. My raita was not watery at all. I served it alongside Dee's Herbed Chicken which also has a minty component. Thanks for sharing your recipe!