From Asia Nora Restaurant in Washington. A delicious sounding chutney to go with Indian foods. amount is a "batch" as i have not made it yet. If you do before i do, please send in a correction with the amount?
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 cups drained canned apricots (about 3/4 of a pound, preferably unsulphured, sliced in half or into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- minced chili pepper (optional)
- Put the onion, ginger, apricots, sugar, vinegar, water, curry powder, cardamom and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the chutney takes on the consistency of a jam.
- Stir the chutney from time to time to prevent it from burning. Cool. If you want a spicy chutney, add some minced chili pepper to the mixture.