Recipe by KittyKitty
This pie is great on it's own or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- 2 lbs tart apples
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut in pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the butter and shortening and cut in with a pastry blender or you can rub between your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal.With a fork, stir in just enough ice water to bind the dough (4-8 tablespoons).
- Gather into 2 balls, wrap in waxed paper, and chill 20 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of dough to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a 9 inch pie pan and trim the edge. Place a baking sheet in the center of the oven and preheat to 425°F.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into a bowl. Toss with the flour, sugar, lemon juice, spices and salt. Spoon into the pie shell and dot with butter.
- Roll out the remaining ball of dough. Place on top of the pie and trim to leave a 3/4 inch overhang. Fold under the bottom dough and press to seal. Crimp edges.
- Roll out the scraps and cut out leaf shapes or desired design. Arrange on top of the pie. Cut steam vents.
- Bake for 10 minutes. reduce heat to 350°F and bake until golden, 40-45 minutes more. If the pie browns to quickly protect with foil.