1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is from epicurious.com. It is the best coffee cake i've ever had!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or 1/4 cup each) or 1/2 cup brown sugar (or 1/4 cup each)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional) or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon clove (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or 1 cup any combination) (optional) or 1/2 cup pecans (or 1 cup any combination) (optional) or 1/2 cup shredded coconut (or 1 cup any combination) (optional) or 1/2 cup golden raisins (or 1 cup any combination) (optional) or 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or 1 cup any combination) (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or 1/2 cup each) or 1 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 cup each)
- 4 large egg yolks or 3 large eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream or 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, zest of (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F (325°F if using a glass pan).
- 2Grease one 9-inch square pan,9-inch Bundt or tube pan, or 9-inch springform pan.
- 3Line with parchment or waxed paper, grease again, and dust with flour.
- 4To make the streusel: Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg if using.
- 5Cut in the butter to resemble coarse crumbs.
- 6If desired, stir in the nuts.
- 7To make the batter: Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 8In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, about 1 minute.
- 9Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- 10Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- 11Blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and zest if using.
- 12Stir in the flour mixture.
- 13Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan.
- 14Sprinkle with half of the streusel.
- 15Carefully cover with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- 16Bake until the cake is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 50 minutes.
- 17Set on a rack and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
- 18Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 19Wrap the kuchen in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 20To make the glaze if using: Combine all the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth and of pouring consistency.
- 21Drizzle over the cake and let stand until set.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ashkenazic Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Smeteneh Kuchen)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.6
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 145.8 mg
- Sodium 377.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 46.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g