2 hrs 10 mins
I've had this recipe for quite a long time and I don't remember where it came from. This is one delicious soup though that I think you'll enjoy as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the chicken stock in a pot to a gentle simmer.
- 2Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat and saute the onion until translucent. Add the pearl barley to the pot and stir for one minute. Stir in the hot chicken stock, turmeric, lime juice, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3Mix in the carrots and continue simmering 30 minutes or until the soup has thickened and the carrots and barley are tender. If the soup is too thick, add hot water, one tablespoon at a time.
- 4Place the sour cream in a small bowl. Slowly pour 1/2 cup of hot soup mixture into sour cream, whisking constantly. Gradually add the sour cream mixture into the soup pot, whisking constantly. Stir in the fresh parsley.
- 5Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ash-E-Jow (Iranian Barley Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.0
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 92.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
de-fatted chicken stock