Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From www.iranonline.com. Kashk is available in middle eastern grocery stores. It can be substituted by sour cream. The recipe didn't state serving numbers so I have guestimated.
- Soak all beans together for several hours, preferably overnight.
- Soak rice and barley together for several hours, preferably overnight.
- Cook the beans with enough water to cover for an hour over low heat. Then add rice and barley. Stir occasionally.
- Clean the herbs removing coarse stems, wash, dry and chop finely.
- Add the herbs after 1/2 hour and continue to cook over low heat. Don't forget to stir occasionally.
- Simmer for a further 2 to 3 hours until all ingredients are tender and well blended. The outcome should be thick and not watery.
- Remove from heat, add kashk keeping one tbs for garnish, salt and pepper and stir. Dish up into a serving dish.
- Slice the onions and fry in a little oil until it turns golden brown. Add mint and tumeric and stir.
- Garnish the soup with kashk and the fried onion.