Asam Pedas With Ikan Kurau Fish
- Grind galangal, lemongrass, turmeric, candlenuts, belachan, shallots and dried chili paste together till quite fine.
- Fry the ground paste for about 30 minutes or till golden red. Use about 4 tbsp of oil.
- Using the large pot, fill with 3 litres of water & dissolve tamarind paste to make that much assam water. After straining, put pot to boil. When assam water starts to boil, add the ground ingredients and boil for 30 minutes to 1 hour on slow fire.
- At this point, add lady's fingers, salted vegetables and 1 tomato.
- Add a little sugar to taste if it feels like it needs it to balance out the tartness of the tamarind.
- Add fish about 15 minutes before serving.