1 hr 30 mins
This is awesome! My mother-in-law's hand-me-down recipe. Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 slices galangal
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 1/2 inch turmeric gingerroot (about thumb size)
- 5 -6 candlenuts
- 2 slices shrimp paste, thin pieces (belachan)
- 30 shallots
- 125 g chili paste (or make your own from dried chillis)
- 1 cup tamarind paste
- salted vegetables (soak for a day)
- 12 ladyfingers
- 1 tomato (quartered)
- 6 pieces threadfin fish (AKA ikan kuau & based on 2 per person)
- 1Grind galangal, lemongrass, turmeric, candlenuts, belachan, shallots and dried chili paste together till quite fine.
- 2Fry the ground paste for about 30 minutes or till golden red. Use about 4 tbsp of oil.
- 3Using the large pot, fill with 3 litres of water & dissolve tamarind paste to make that much assam water. After straining, put pot to boil. When assam water starts to boil, add the ground ingredients and boil for 30 minutes to 1 hour on slow fire.
- 4At this point, add lady's fingers, salted vegetables and 1 tomato.
- 5Add a little sugar to taste if it feels like it needs it to balance out the tartness of the tamarind.
- 6Add fish about 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Malaysian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asam Pedas With Ikan Kurau Fish
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.6
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 120.4 mg
- Sodium 76.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: