Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Authentic recipe from a hispanic website
- 2 -3 lbs pork
- 4 -5 ancho chilies
- 4 -5 pasilla chiles
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large white onion
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Deseed all the chiles.
- Place the ancho chiles in a saucepan with half an onion. Add water and simmer until soft.
- In a small skillet, add pasilla chiles and 3 garlic cloves. Fry briefly in vegetable oil.
- Place all the chiles and garlic in a blender and puree to form a chile colorado sauce.
- Cut the pork into bite size pieces.
- In a medium-large size pot, add 1 tbsp vegetable oil and simmer the pork with bay leaves and thyme.
- Stir frequently, add more vegetable oil as needed.
- Once the pork is cooked, add the chile colorado sauce and simmer, covered, about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with rice, beans, and warm tortillas.