Prep 8 mins
Cook 25 mins
A lot of flavor and nutritionion without the fat of butter and cream. YAY, mashed spuds again! Feel free to use some fat free chicken broth with or for the water if you like.
- 4 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Pare the potatoes or leave skin on, according to taste.
- Cut into 1 inch cubes, and place in heavy medium saucepan.
- Add water, garlic, parsley, Tabasco and salt, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring and breaking potatoes up with a fork.
- Add more hot water if potatoes seem too dry.
- Continue stirring and mashing potatoes for about 5 minutes until the water is absorbed and the potatoes are soft and lumpy.
- Remove from heat, stir in the mustards, horseradish and sour cream.
- Note: If there are any leftovers, use for a great potato salad by adding chopped onion, celery, pickles, hard cooked eggs and some fat-free mayonnaise or sour cream. As good as mashed potatoes (But Fat Free!) uses a unique combination of garlic, Tabasco, mustard and horseradish to spice up an American favorite.
The horseradish and grainy mustard are what give these potatoes there sparkle. Lots of flavor with no butter or sour cream Yippy. Made as written scaling back to serve two and still had some leftover. Thanks so much for the post.
These have oodles of flavor. Very good and extremely unique. If you're looking for a traditional pour-gravy-on-top sort of mashed potatoes, then these aren't the ones you want. These mashed potatoes stand alone quite well. The flavor is welcomed especially considering how low fat they are. Thanks for the recipe, Annacia.
This has definetely a lot of flavor. Maybe too much for us. DH didn't like them. Me I did but not enough to give them 5 stars. And I decided to omit the yellow mustard. But I used 1 tsp of grainy mustard and 1 tsp of horseradish. I used italian parsley. I cooked them in the microwave for 15 minutes and then strain in a strainer (to be able to keep the garlic and parsley). Thanks Annacia. Made for the Babes of ZWT4