Recipe by Mousie Ann
My granny was an amazing cook, but like most great chefs she did not follow any written recipe. Unfortunately, I came into cooking long after her passing and when the hunger pang hit me one Sunday...I began searching far and wide for her macaronni and cheese out there. This is as close as I've come.
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup heavy cream (light cream works fine, too)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- additional butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil elbow macaroni as directed on package. Set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Blend flour, milk & cream. Cook stirring constantly until boil (2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add papricka, pepper, and 2 C of grated sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cooked elbow macaroni and salt to taste.
- Spoon final mixture into a small casserole dish.
- Garnish top with remaining grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- 'Dot' top with additional butter. (I usually dot with another 2 tbl of butter).
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes.