Recipe by Tularyn
This is my favorite loaf/muffin recipe that I concocted through trial and error trying to make a traditional pumpkin bread somewhat healthier. It produces very dense, delicious bread or muffins, which I like to eat warm with a spread of coconut oil instead of butter. I sometimes switch up the flours/brans/meals I use, and you can add raisins or shredded carrots, etc. for variety. I say practically vegan because I cannot guarantee that all the ingredients were made in a vegan-friendly way, though I presume they probably were. I am not vegan, but I like the idea of using flax instead of eggs since I eat so many eggs already. *I actually use 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 xylitol, but since xylitol is not in the ingredient list here I put all brown sugar.
Top Review by Lil_Mommy
I really like this alot. I added one cup of dried blueberries. I used 2/3 C of honey instead of the sugar. Oh I used spelt flour instead of whole wheat. Whole wheat upsets my son's stomach. I don't have ground cloves or allspice, so I used 3-4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Super yummy, and good for you! Thanks Tularyn!
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 44.37 ml flax seeds
- 88.74 ml water
- 236.59 ml applesauce
- 453.59 g canned pumpkin
- 118.29 ml coconut oil
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml oat bran
- 118.29 ml flax seed meal
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 9.85 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml clove
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 118.29 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Mix flaxseed with 6 Tbsp water, let sit for 1 minute.
- Blend flaxseed/water mixture with pumpkin, applesauce, coconut oil, and 1/2 cup water.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Fold dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture.
- Grease two loaf pans with coconut oil and flour with whole wheat flour.
- Pour half of mixture into each pan.
- Bake at 350 for 60-75 minutes until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on rack before removing loaves from pans.
- Freezes well. Can also make muffins with same recipe.