Recipe by Tularyn
This is my favorite loaf/muffin recipe that I concocted through trial and error trying to make a traditional pumpkin bread somewhat healthier. It produces very dense, delicious bread or muffins, which I like to eat warm with a spread of coconut oil instead of butter. I sometimes switch up the flours/brans/meals I use, and you can add raisins or shredded carrots, etc. for variety. I say practically vegan because I cannot guarantee that all the ingredients were made in a vegan-friendly way, though I presume they probably were. I am not vegan, but I like the idea of using flax instead of eggs since I eat so many eggs already. *I actually use 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 xylitol, but since xylitol is not in the ingredient list here I put all brown sugar.
Top Review by Lil_Mommy
I really like this alot. I added one cup of dried blueberries. I used 2/3 C of honey instead of the sugar. Oh I used spelt flour instead of whole wheat. Whole wheat upsets my son's stomach. I don't have ground cloves or allspice, so I used 3-4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Super yummy, and good for you! Thanks Tularyn!
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup applesauce
- 16 ounces canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Mix flaxseed with 6 Tbsp water, let sit for 1 minute.
- Blend flaxseed/water mixture with pumpkin, applesauce, coconut oil, and 1/2 cup water.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Fold dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture.
- Grease two loaf pans with coconut oil and flour with whole wheat flour.
- Pour half of mixture into each pan.
- Bake at 350 for 60-75 minutes until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on rack before removing loaves from pans.
- Freezes well. Can also make muffins with same recipe.