Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Aryan worked for my grandparents when my mother was a teen. This is her crepe recipe as handed down to Mom and then to me. It's a family favorite for weekend breakfast and for dessert. We've even framed the recipe for the kitchen wall!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- powdered sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed (optional)
- Melt shortening over medium heat in a large non-stick cooking pan or crepe pan.
- While shortening melts, combine and whisk other ingredients. Make sure no lumps remain.
- Add melted shortening and mix well.
- Pour just enough to coat bottom of pan. Thin is good with crepes. Tip the pan to fully coat the pan with a thin layer of batter.
- Flip when the crepe slides easily around the pan and has a golden color.
- Place on plate, add strawberries and roll crepe.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I made this recipe low carb and it was great. I used flax seed instead of flour and used 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/3 cup water instead of the milk. Topped with Walden Farms no calorie/carb jelly. Yum!