From the June 2010 issue of Sunset Magazine. The first test run I prepared as indicated. The second time the arugula was replaced with watercress and the golden raisins with Turkish apricots. Other fruit options: standard raisins, deglet dates, medjoool dates. Nut substitution suggestions: almonds, pine nuts, hazelnuts, etc. Freshly made pasta would be fantastic!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 2 cups baby arugula or 2 cups watercress
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic (reduced from 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces, plus 3/4 cup toasted walnuts pieces (read recipe intro)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste (reduced from 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1In a large pot cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2Place the pesto ingredients (and only *1/4 cup* of the walnuts) in a food processor and whirl until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- 3Drain the pasta and *reserve* 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 4Return the pasta to the pan.
- 5Add the pesto, stir.
- 6Stir in the remaining walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, raisins/dried fruit and the reserved one quarter cup cooking liquid.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arugula-Walnut Pesto Farfalle
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.7
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 509.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 18.6 g