1 hr 5 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
The Washington Post, May 1, 2009 Adapted by Cynthia Brown, assistant director of Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria, from a recipe in "The Victory Garden Cookbook," by Marian Morash (Knopf, 1982).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large leeks, root ends trimmed off white and light-green parts only or 5 cups leeks
- olive oil
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 4 1/2 cups yukon gold potatoes or 4 1/2 cups Red Bliss potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups packed arugula leaves, washed, then coarsely chopped
- 1Cut the leeks lengthwise, then crosswise into thin slices. Place in a bowl of cool water and let sit for 15 minutes to dislodge any grit.
- 2Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a large saucepan over medium heat. Drain the leeks well, then add to the saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until they have softened and become aromatic.
- 3Add the broth; increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- 4Add the potatoes; after the broth returns almost to a boil, cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the arugula and stir to combine; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5At this point, the potatoes should be tender; if not, cook for an additional 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- 6Remove from the heat. Use an immersion blender to partially or completely puree the soup in the saucepan. Divide among individual bowls; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arugula Soup Related Story
Serving Size: 1 (1255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.2
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth