Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The Washington Post, May 1, 2009 Adapted by Cynthia Brown, assistant director of Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria, from a recipe in "The Victory Garden Cookbook," by Marian Morash (Knopf, 1982).
- 3 large leeks, root ends trimmed off white and light-green parts only or 5 cups leeks
- olive oil
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 4 1⁄2 cups yukon gold potatoes or 4 1⁄2 cups Red Bliss potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups packed arugula leaves, washed, then coarsely chopped
- Cut the leeks lengthwise, then crosswise into thin slices. Place in a bowl of cool water and let sit for 15 minutes to dislodge any grit.
- Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a large saucepan over medium heat. Drain the leeks well, then add to the saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until they have softened and become aromatic.
- Add the broth; increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes; after the broth returns almost to a boil, cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the arugula and stir to combine; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- At this point, the potatoes should be tender; if not, cook for an additional 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Remove from the heat. Use an immersion blender to partially or completely puree the soup in the saucepan. Divide among individual bowls; serve hot.