Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
To save assembly time, make the pistachios ahead of time and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or you could use an equal amount of chopped toasted pistachios. Cook's Illustrated had this recipe in their Nov/Dec 2006 edition.
- 1⁄2 cup whole shelled pistachios
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced very fine (approx 1 TBS)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, fresh, minced very fine
- table salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces lightly packed baby arugula (8 cups)
- 2 large oranges, peeled, cut into segments, segments halved and drained to remove excess juice
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled (3/4 cup)
- For Sugared Pistachios:.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Toss pistachios with egg white in small bowl.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer nuts to 8" square baking pan lined with parchment paper; discard excess egg white.
- Add sugar and stir until nuts are completely coasted.
- Bake, stirring mixture every 5 to 10 minutes, until coating turns nutty brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer nuts to plate in single layer to cool.
- For the Salad:.
- Whisk marmalade, lemon juice, oil, shallot, mint, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper in large bowl.
- Add arugula and oranges; toss and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Divide salad among individual plates; top each with portion of feta and sugared pistachios.
- Serve immediately.
Nice and spritely salad, we especially liked the dressing and sugared pistachios, which I made sun dried rather than oven dried.
DH and I both really liked this salad, and in fact I will be making that dressing and using it on many many other kinds of salads! I did do a couple things different, but not by much. I used spinach instead of arugula, and gorgonzola instead of feta (because I had it left over.) My ONLY complaint is that the nuts made a TOTAL MESS of my dish because I didn't have parchment paper. Oh well now I know why that was specified!! Thanks a lot for this wonderful salad, it will be a new staple for us!!