Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Beets and goat cheese are a wonderful combination that is only enhanced by the walnuts. Adapted from Marthastewart.com.
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse salt
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced beets, drained
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 6 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 8 ounces arugula, stemmed and washed
- 4 cups baby romaine lettuce
- In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, vinegar, orange juice, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Place beets in a small bowl. Pour 1/3 of the dressing over beets; toss to coat.
- Place walnuts in a shallow dish. With your hands, form goat cheese into 12 equal balls. Roll balls in walnuts, turning to coat completely, then flatten into disks.
- Place arugula and romain lettuce in a large bowl. Drizzle greens with remaining dressing, and toss to combine. Divide among plates, and top each serving with some of the sliced beets and 3 goat-cheese disks.
i liked the walnut crusted goat cheese. thanks
This is one of our favorite salads. Tangy goat cheese and earthy sweet beets are a dynamite combo. I often use baby mixed greens and add a bit of fresh dill if I have it in the garden. I serve this on a platter instead of in a bowl - spread greens out on the platter, layer beet slices on top of greens, place goat cheese disks on top of beets. It makes serving equal portions of greens/beets/cheese easier. Yum!
We enjoyed this salad! I did not have any goat cheese so I subbed unripened mozzeralla cheese and that worked out just fine, for the dressing I used sweetened orange juice which I think was a good choice otherwise I think a small amount of sugar would have been needed. Great beet salad Kel, thanks!...Kitten:)