Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came from the Bon Appetit website. I want to try it, so I'm posting it here for safe-keeping. ZWT 3: Italian
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces baby arugula (8 cups packed)
- 6 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese (2/3 cup)
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb frozen pizza dough, thawed
- Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook garlic in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden. Add arugula and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain arugula and remove as much water as possible, then coarsely chop.
- Stir together ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, yolk, salt, and pepper until blended. Stir arugula into mixture.
- Quarter pizza dough, then roll out each piece into an 8-inch round with a rolling pin. Put one fourth of cheese filling (about 1/3 cup) in center of 1 round and fold dough in half to enclose filling and form a semicircle. Press edges together to seal.
- Beginning at 1 end and working toward the other, stretch sealed edge outward, pinching and rolling edge to form a rope, and transfer to baking sheet. Make 3 more calzones in same manner, transferring to baking sheet.
- Bake calzones until golden and puffed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before serving.
these were excellent! I've made calzones before but I've never added the egg yolks before. it really helped to bind everything together. we added ham and pepperoni for fun and it was delicious. I would use more arugula next time to ensure that every bite had some.
This was yummy! I made 2 HUGE calzones. Next time I'll actually follow the directions and make 4 because they were just too big. LOL. I added sausage to DH's and he LOVED this. YUM!! Thanks for sharing.
Good! I used baby spinach 8 cups but it wasn`t packed. This did make more filling then needed. Also should do an egg wash with the egg white that wasn`t used to give a little shine to the dough. All in all this was very good!