Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came from the Bon Appetit website. I want to try it, so I'm posting it here for safe-keeping. ZWT 3: Italian
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces baby arugula (8 cups packed)
- 6 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese (2/3 cup)
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb frozen pizza dough, thawed
- Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook garlic in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden. Add arugula and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain arugula and remove as much water as possible, then coarsely chop.
- Stir together ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, yolk, salt, and pepper until blended. Stir arugula into mixture.
- Quarter pizza dough, then roll out each piece into an 8-inch round with a rolling pin. Put one fourth of cheese filling (about 1/3 cup) in center of 1 round and fold dough in half to enclose filling and form a semicircle. Press edges together to seal.
- Beginning at 1 end and working toward the other, stretch sealed edge outward, pinching and rolling edge to form a rope, and transfer to baking sheet. Make 3 more calzones in same manner, transferring to baking sheet.
- Bake calzones until golden and puffed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before serving.
This was yummy! I made 2 HUGE calzones. Next time I'll actually follow the directions and make 4 because they were just too big. LOL. I added sausage to DH's and he LOVED this. YUM!! Thanks for sharing.
Good! I used baby spinach 8 cups but it wasn`t packed. This did make more filling then needed. Also should do an egg wash with the egg white that wasn`t used to give a little shine to the dough. All in all this was very good!