Recipe by SarasotaCook
A very light side dish, served room temperature or a slight chill with a fresh peppery lemon vinaigrette, peas, scallions, spicy arugula and quinoa. Very simple and easy to put together. It really isn't meant as a main dish, but a great side dish to compliment your main course and very healthy. You could always turn this into a main dish by adding some grilled chicken.
- 1 1⁄4 cups quinoa
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups baby arugula, rough chopped
- 1 cup peas (frozen peas work great, and then thawed)
- 2 scallions, fine diced
- 1 small onion, fine diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (more if you don't mind a peppery taste. I love it, but adjust to your tastes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Quinoa -- Cook according to directions. For most brands it is 1 part to approximately 2 parts liquid. Rinse the quinoa very well before you cook it - Important Step! Then bring the liquid to a boil (I prefer to use a broth to add even more flavor), reduce, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Just check your package for complete directions. Once done, just set to the side to cool.
- Salad Ingredients -- In your serving bowl, add the arugula, onion, scallions, garlic, peas, parsley and lemon zest. Toss well.
- Vinaigrette -- I like to make my vinaigrettes in a small tupperware container so I can just shake it and it is ready to go. Besides, if you don't use all your dressing, just put the lid back on and it will keep in the refrigerator for future use. But you can also mix this up in any small bowl or measuring cup. Just mix up the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot, mustard, sugar and pepper.
- Finish -- Simply add the cooled or room temp quinoa to the salad vegetables and toss. Add a little vinaigrette at a time and mix. Add as much vinaigrette as you want. Check for seasoning and add any additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve -- ENJOY this lighter salad.