Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The strong, meaty flavor of the walnuts balances out the astringency of the arugula, a good blend of flavors.
- 2 cups of packed arugula leaves
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- Brown 6 garlic cloves with their peels on in a skillet over medium high heat until the garlic is lightly browned in places, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic from the pan, cool, and remove the skins.
- Toast the nuts in a pan over medium heat until lightly brown, or heat in a microwave on high heat for a minute or two until you get that roasted flavor. In our microwave it takes 2 minutes.
- Combine the arugula, walnuts, roasted and raw garlic into a food processor. Pulse while drizzling the olive oil into the processor. Remove the mixture from the processor and put it into a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Because the pesto is so dependent on the individual ingredients, and the strength of the ingredients depends on the season or variety, test it and add more of the ingredients to taste.
- Mix with freshly prepared pasta of your choice. You may need to add a little bit of water or more olive oil to mix the pesto more evenly with the pasta.
- Makes enough pesto sauce for an ample serving of pasta for four people.
I skipped the first step, and I used half arugula, half basil. The outcome was THE best pesto I have ever had in my life. My roommate brought some to work the next day, and now people are giving her money for the ingredients so I can make some more. LOL. Thank you.
Great recipe. I didn't have time to toast the extra garlic - but I absolutely will next time. Only other change I made was to add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Really delicious. Can't wait to make again with the toasted garlic.