Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
My favorite healthy recipe.
- 2 cups green peas, raw (fresh, shelled)
- 1 cup green scallions (3-4 inch strips) or 1 cup spring onion, chopped, raw (3-4 inch strips)
- 12 leaves arugula, raw (or baby spinach)
- 4 cups swiss chard, raw (torn, baby swiss chard)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, industrial, canola for salads, woks and light frying
- 1. In a medium saucepan cook peas, covered, in a small amount of boiling.
- salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and cool.
- 2. In a large platter arrange peas, green onions, arugula and Swiss chard inches.
- 3. In a screw-top jar combine the Strawberry Vinegar and salad oil. Cover.
- and shake well. Drizzle over salad. Store any remaining dressing in the.
- To Make Your Own Strawberry Vinegar: In a medium stainless steel saucepan combine 1 cup.
- chopped fresh strawberries and 1 cup cider vinegar. Bring to a boil and.
- reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour the.
- vinegar-berry mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and let liquid drain into.
- a bowl. Discard the berries. Transfer vinegar to a jar or bottle. Cover.
- tightly with a nonmetallic lid. Chill for at least 1 hour. Store in the.
- refrigerator up to 6 months. Makes 11/4 cups.
I love this salad. But I think Arugula & Pea salad is a misnomer, it should be Swiss Chard & Pea salad. I have never had swiss chard raw ~ it's yummy!! I wish there was more arugula in this. The peas are spot on perfect. I couldn't make the dressing because I didn't have the strawberries. Perhaps add them to the ingredient list. I used a pear vinegar that I had in the cupboard. A really nice salad, and a nice change of pace. I will make this up at camp in the summer! Made for 'Greens for Spring' tag in the Diabetic Forum 5/12.