Recipe by Dedee Royale
These savory little toasts is a favorite snack or appetizer with nutty crumbles of Parmigiano or Pecorino Toscano cheese. Fava beans, fresh arugula, both pureed and roughly chopped punctuates this spread with spice and texture. If you cannot find fava beans in your grocers freezer, you can also use frozen edamame but do not shell them.
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 baguette
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- 16 mint leaves (or basil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 with rack in middle.
- Cook fava beans in boiling water, uncovered, until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Gentle peel off skins (Note: if using edamame, don't peel).
- Pulse fava beans in a food processor until very coarsely chopped, then transfer 1/2 of the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup arugula, grated cheese, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/8 teaspoons pepper to favas in processor.
- Puree till smooth.then add to the bowl.
- Coarsely chop remaining cup arugula and gently fold into fava-bean mixture.
- Cut 16 diagonal slices (1/3" thick) from baguette and put in a 4-sided sheet pan.
- Drizzle with remaining tablespoons oil.
- Bake until pale golden and crisp, 8-10 minute Rub with cut side of garlic.
- Spoon fava bean mixture onto baguette toasts, then drizzle with oil and top with mint.
- Chef Notes: Topping can be made 8 hours ahead and chilled, but eliminate the arugula and fold in before using. Toasts can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.