Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy, simple way to fix rice from the Caribbean island of Aruba! Great served with a lettuce and tomato salad.
- Bring the rice to a boil, using water and chicken broth, turn down heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until done and liquid absorbed.
- Put the chicken leg in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to boil with salt and pepper for 15 minutes.
- Once chicken and rice are ready, shred the chicken from the bone.
- Fry the onion, green pepper, celery and tomato in the olive oil until it's golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and the cooked rice to the vegetables and mix thoroughly. Serve and enjoy!
When I chose this recipe I thought it sounded really good, but while I was cooking it I had second thoughts. The second thoughts were wrong - this is great and has lots of flavor. I did reduce the amount of rice to half as there are only three of us. I also used boneless skinless chicken thighs as I had a couple in the freezer that needed to be used. Will be making this again. Thanks for posting this Sharon! Made for 1~2~3 Hits.
Easy and flavorful! The whole family liked it. I shredded a roast chicken that I already had on hand and used a little less rice. Great stuff! Served with a simple side of fresh pineapple, mango and papaya. Thanks for posting. (Made for ZWT5).
To be honest, I actually found this recipe a little bland. After we added salt (additional to cooking the chook) it was nice. We used home made chicken stock, made fresh that evening and also included some home made chilli sauce, but it still didn't quite zing for me. My partner liked it a lot more. Made for My Food Odyssey.