Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Shhh!!! This is a secret recipe and I have it on good authority that it's the real deal. Problem is, it's just too good to keep to myself! Don't ask who let me in on the secret, though, because I'll never tell. :)
- 3 -4 lbs rump roast
- 2 cups water
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 onion, cut into large pieces
- 2 green peppers, cut into large pieces
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 loaf French bread
- Bake roast in 350 degree oven until done (usually an hour& a half to two hours).
- Put water, sauce, onion, green pepper and spices in crockpot and allow them to cook on low while beef is baking.
- When beef is done, slice and put in crockpot with sauce.
- Let beef cook in sauce for 2 hours.
- Serve on french bread.
This is one of my favorite sandwiches ever....I eat at Art's all the time. One suggestion though. When Art's serves the sandwich the top the meat on the bread with cooked quarted bell peppers that have been boiled or steamed until soft. The peppers really add another dimension to the sandwich...try it...you will like it!
I worked at Art's Pizza on Broadway in Anderson in the 70's making the pizza dough and roast beef. You hit the nail on the head with this one. You dip the bread in the broth and serve it open faced, eating it with a knife and fork. Plenty of napkins. It was good to find this again.
This works great for a filling meal. We did open face with melted cheese on top. It kinda taste like pizza. My family of 4 ate it once, then we put the leftovers in the freezer. Three wks the leftovers were yummy! I stored the leftover (which was enough for another meal) in a freezer bag. Thawed 24 hours in fridge. Put in crockpot on low 4 hours. Worked great!