Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got the idea for this sandwich from Art's Tavern in Glen Arbor, MI. It's so delicious, one of my favorite ways to eat grilled cheese. For best results, use real cheese, not processed.
- 2 slices bread (your favorite kind, it's good with sourdough or wheat)
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1 slice American cheese
- 4 slices tomatoes
- onion, sliced, to taste
- banana pepper, drained, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Layer bottom slice of bread with swiss cheese, tomatoes, sliced onion, and banana peppers. Top with American cheese and top slice of bread.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over low-medium heat.
- Add sandwich, cooking on medium until bottom bread is crispy and you can see the butter on the top slice of bread begin to melt.
- Flip with a spatula and grill until cheese melts.
What a great grilled cheese, made this for dinner last night and DH declared it the best we've had. I also made recipe#246097 and added that to it. YUMMY to the max. I was so pleased and know we'll be having it again. I did take a photo but my darn computer is acting up so will have to post that later. Made for Let's PARTY 2011
So great! Grilled Cheese's Big Brother. I loved the freshness of the tomatoes and addition of the banana peppers. I'm not a big fan of traditional grilled cheese but I could eat these all the time.
yummy - i used ciabatta and did not use the butter b/c i grilled in a sandwich maker... i like the peppers and the swiss - very tasty... shall try again soon with my regular wheat bread.