Recipe by vitalev
I got the idea for this sandwich from Art's Tavern in Glen Arbor, MI. It's so delicious, one of my favorite ways to eat grilled cheese. For best results, use real cheese, not processed.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
What a great grilled cheese, made this for dinner last night and DH declared it the best we've had. I also made recipe#246097 and added that to it. YUMMY to the max. I was so pleased and know we'll be having it again. I did take a photo but my darn computer is acting up so will have to post that later. Made for Let's PARTY 2011
- 2 slices bread (your favorite kind, it's good with sourdough or wheat)
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1 slice American cheese
- 4 slices tomatoes
- onion, sliced, to taste
- banana pepper, drained, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Layer bottom slice of bread with swiss cheese, tomatoes, sliced onion, and banana peppers. Top with American cheese and top slice of bread.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over low-medium heat.
- Add sandwich, cooking on medium until bottom bread is crispy and you can see the butter on the top slice of bread begin to melt.
- Flip with a spatula and grill until cheese melts.