I got the idea for this sandwich from Art's Tavern in Glen Arbor, MI. It's so delicious, one of my favorite ways to eat grilled cheese. For best results, use real cheese, not processed.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Layer bottom slice of bread with swiss cheese, tomatoes, sliced onion, and banana peppers. Top with American cheese and top slice of bread.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over low-medium heat.
- Add sandwich, cooking on medium until bottom bread is crispy and you can see the butter on the top slice of bread begin to melt.
- Flip with a spatula and grill until cheese melts.