1/3 Photos of Art's French Bread (NOT bread machine)
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
echo echo's Note:
A recipe I got from a boss of mine years ago. Use low-fat yogurt if you want a more sour taste. Cooking time includes both time for dough to rise twice and time for baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour the yogurt into a fairly large pan and add the hot water.
- 2Put 1 Tbs yeast on one side of the bowl and 1 Tbs on the other.
- 3Do the same with salt and sugar.
- 4DO NOT STIR this mixture.
- 5Let set until a scummy surface is formed.
- 6Then add 2 cups flour and stir.
- 7Add 2 more cups flour and continue mixing.
- 8Slowly add 2 more cups flour or slightly more until the dough becomes real pasty.
- 9Flour a bread board and knead the dough.
- 10Continue to knead until the dough becomes somewhat stiff.
- 11Place the dough in the bowl and let rise 1 hour, then punch it down and knead it again.
- 12Let it rise again, then cut into 3-4 loaves and form into loaf shape.
- 13Spread a light film of butter on foil or a baking sheet and sprinkle corn meal over the film of butter.
- 14Place the loaves on the foil 1½-2" apart.
- 15Mix egg white with a little water and a pinch of salt and paint the loaves with this mixture.
- 16Score the loaves.
- 17Bake on middle rack of oven at 375° 30-40 minute If the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with your finger, it's done.
- 183-4 loaves.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Art's French Bread (NOT bread machine)
Serving Size: 1 (1684 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1026.9
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.9 mg
- Sodium 4802.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 189.0 g