1/2 Photos of Artisan Style Bagels
24 hrs 20 mins
Mama Cee Jay's Note:
This is a recipe that requires times and patience and is a two day process. Also, please note that this recipe produces a soft interior and a crispy exterior, not the dense and chewy style associated with New York bagels. If you love bread and bread making, then this recipe is for you! Enjoy! p.s. I consulted several recipes books for this preparation, but mainly relied on "The Bread Maker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 20 ounces water, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 3 3/4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
For boiling bagels
- 1Mix ingredients of starter in large mixer bowl; mixture will look somewhat like pancake batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours until mixture is bubbly and increased to nearly double in size.
- 2Add remaining yeast to starter. Place dough hook on mixer and gradually add remaining flour, gluten, salt and brown sugar into starter and mix on low speed for 6-8 minutes. Then stop and cover machine with kitchen towel, allowing dough to rest for 5 minutes. Transfer dough to counter and hand knead for 10-12 minutes. Add flour as needed to create a smooth and pliable texture, not tacky.
- 3Separate the dough into 12 pieces, formed into small balls as you would make for dinner rolls. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 4To form bagels, flatten each ball, roll into cylinder shape about 9 inches long. Wrap around your hand and seal edges by pushing your fingers into your palm. Transfer bagels to two baking pans which have been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking oil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or longer-- up to two days.).
- 5On the day of baking, remove bagels from refrigerator and bring to room temperature while you preheat oven to 450 degrees F for one hour. Set a wide pot to boil with four inches of water. When oven is heated and bagels are ready, add baking soda and sugar to boiling water. With slotted spoon, place 3 or 4 bagels into pot. Count to ten and flip bagels and count to ten again. Remove bagels and drain in colander. Repeat process.
- 6Place boiled bagels onto two baking sheets which have been lined with parchment paper and dusted with cornmeal. Put pans into oven and set timer for 8 minutes. Rotate pans and set timer for 8 minutes more. Check for doneness and continue baking up to 4 minutes more according to your preference. The bagels should be nicely browned on top and dark crust on bottom.
- 7Let sit for about 5 minutes before devouring!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artisan Style Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 689.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten
vital wheat gluten