Artisan Rosemary Garlic Bread
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast into 1 cup warm water. Mix in the sugar and salt. To proof, let sit for about 10 minutes and become foamy.
- Add in olive oil, bread flour and knead, by hand or stand mixer, for about 10 minutes. Add dried rosemary, black pepper and oregano or Italian seasoning. Knead another 5 minutes.
- Add to the dough the roasted garlic cloves and gently knead to incorporate, about 1 - 2 minute. Dough should come together well at this point and may be slightly sticky.
- Place dough ball in a well oiled bowl, turning dough to cover entire surface. Tightly cover bowl with plastic wrap. Place in warm, draft-free area to rise until dough is doubled, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- After dough has doubled, punch it down and shape into a rounded loaf. Place rounded loaf on greased baking sheet. Using sharp knife, makeing a couple of deep cuts on top. Cover loaf with a clean dish towel or large mixing bowl inverted over it. Make sure bowl is large enough that it gives your loaf room to rise. Let rise until doubled again, approx 1 hour.
- After the second dough rise, gently brush with olive oil then with coarse sea salt and freshly chopped rosemary. Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes, spraying loaf with water once during the middle of baking. Raise oven temperature up to 425F and spray loaf with water again. Watching closely, bake just until top is golden brown, taking care not to over bake.