Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Artie’s Deli, New York, NY.
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra
- butter, for the baking dish
- 1⁄2 lb farfalle pasta
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 lb pastrami, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 -10 Ritz crackers, pulsed in the food processor (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat; cook farfalle until al dente, about 8-10 minutes; drain.
- In a large pan over med-low heat, melt the butter; sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the milk, stirring; increase the heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until almost boiling and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the cheeses and stir until melted and incorporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the pastrami and decrease the heat.
- Add in the pasta and season with salt and pepper; transfer pasta to the baking dish; top with cracker crumbs.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until browned and bubbly.