Recipe by hellokitty
Recipe by Tyler Florence...this is soooo good the flavors combine together very well and smells fantastic while cooking!
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 quarts water
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1 dash black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 whole artichokes, split in half
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork sausage (2 large)
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lemon, cut into paperthin slices
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- fried sage leaf, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- First thing to do is to steam the artichokes in a flavorful broth.
- Put the parsley, garlic, bay leaves, wine and 1 of the halved lemons into a wide pot. Add 2 quarts of water and bring to a simmer. Season the broth with the salt and pepper.
- While that's coming to a simmer, wash the artichokes under cold water. Trim the bottom end of each stem and shave the stem down to expose the tender, light green flesh underneath. Snap or cut off the outer, tough petals until you reach the soft pale green leaves in the center. Slice off about 1 inch from the top of the artichoke with a large knife. Do the same to the rest of the artichokes.
- Put the artichokes in the simmering broth, then cover the pan and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until the artichokes are soft.
- Remove the artichokes from the broth with tongs.
- Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the hairy choke from the center of each artichoke and discard. Try to keep the artichoke halves as intact as possible; it looks prettier (according to Tyler).
- Put a large, deep skillet over medium heat and cover the bottom with the olive oil. When the oil is smoking hot, add the sausage and cook for 7-10 minutes until cooked through. take them out of the pan and set them aside.
- Using some of the sausage oil, add the sage leaves to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes to infuse the oil with their flavor.
- Add the shallots, garlic and lemon slices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan, bring to a simmer and simmer until reduced and thickened.
- Swirl in the butter to emulsify. Return the artichokes to the pan and cook them over low heat for a few minutes to warm them up.