Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious way to serve artichokes! This may be served either hot or cold.The vinaigrette sauce may be made ahead and refrigerated and, if the artichokes are to be served cold, they may be made in advance also. Originally from an April 1978 issue of Bon Apetit.
- 6 large artichokes, trimmed
- boiling salt water
- 6 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Vinaigrette Sauce:.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and blend thoroughly with a whisk.
- In a 6-quart pan cook artichokes, uncovered, in boiling salted water 5 minutes; drain.
- Place artichokes in a large pan or roaster so they stand upright.
- Combine onion,vermouth,6 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Separate leaves of artichokes and fill with vermouth mixture.
- Combine white wine,1/4 cup olive oil, and garlic;pour into bottom of pan.
- Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove artichokes from broth and serve hot or cold with vinaigrette sauce.