Recipe by Phil Franco
Be sure to choose large, deep green artichokes that are heavy for their size and with firm leaves that are fairly tighly closed. Avoid artichokes with split or ragged leaves.
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 large artichokes
- 1 cup walnuts, plus
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 1 (16 ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill large bowl with cold water; add lemon juice. Cut off stem and top 2 inches from 1 artichoke. Using scissors, cut off pointy ends of outer artichoke leaves. Using melon baller, scoop out fuzzy choke from center of artichoke, forming opening. Place artichoke in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add artichokes and cook until artichoke hearts are tender when pierced with metal skewer, about 15 minutes. Drain. Cool to room temperature.
- Coarsely chop walnuts in processor. Transfer 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts to small bowl and reserve. Add ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg to walnuts in processor; process until well blended. Transfer ricotta mixture to bowl. Stir in parsley. Season to taste with additional salt and white pepper.
- Using teaspoon and fingertips as aids, spoon ricotta mixture into center of each artichoke, then spoon some mixture between artichoke leaves. Pour remaining 1/4 cup olive oil into 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange stuffed artichokes in dish. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Pour 3/4 cup water and wine into bottom of dish with artichokes. Cover dish with foil and bake until artichokes are very tender and stuffing is slightly firm, about 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle reserved 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts over artichokes. Bake uncovered 10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.