Prep 5 mins
Cook 11 mins
I love fresh artichokes but did not like how long they took to steam until I discovered this procedure. 3 artichokes done in 11 minutes! How easy and quick is that!? This can also be a prelude to grilled or roasted artichokes if you steam half the amount of time in the microwave and then proceed with the other recipes. Great timesaver!
- Trim the artichokes by cutting off the stem and cutting off the tips of the leaves. *I often cut them in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the choke but you can skip this step.
- Rub the lemon over all the cut parts of the artichokes so it does not brown.
- Place all 3 of the artichokes upside down in a microwaveable dish with a tight fitting lid. *Try a dinner or salad plate on top of your dish if you do not have a lid that exactly fits.
- *I place them upside down so the water is not collected in the artichokes but they can be placed right side up and then squeezed out later.
- Add the water and cover.
- Cook on high for 11 minutes. Check at about 9 minutes since all ovens are not the same, and pierce the hearts with a fork. If they are soft they are done.
- Drain and serve.
This deserve 5 stars just for being so quick! I cooked two for 10 minutes and it was slightly too long but because the petals were all wilty looking but the artichoke "meat" was perfectly done! I did slice them in half and remove the choke before cooking so that's probably why it overcooked. Wow! I'm a total artichoke lover and am used to steaming them for an hour. My husband was out of town last night and I had a craving for them and found this recipe! Awesome! I can see me eating this for lunch now too due to the ease of it! For two large artichokes I'd probably steam for 8.5 to 9 minutes. Thank you so much for this gem of a recipe!
I'm so happy to have found a FAST and EASY way to successfully steam artichokes. This is going into my Best of the Best file. I steamed 2 large artichokes in 9 minutes. Wow! I'm a happy girl. I then went on to cut them in half, marinate them and fire-roast them on the grill. recipe#249326, if you're interested. Thank you for posting this easy recipe!!
This worked well as an easy first step for another recipe. I had to use plastic wrap to cover the dish. I also found that this worked fine for 4 artichokes.