1/2 Photos of Artichokes Roasted
1 hr 5 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
Roasting artichokes brings out the great nutty flavor. We really enjoy artichokes fixed this way. The process is so simple, you just tuck it in your head; just pick the number of artichokes and pick a pan into which they will all fit. Most artichokes come from California--the belt stretches from San Mateo county into Monterey County. The recipe comes from Sunset.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Choose artichokes that are 3 to 4 1/2 inches wide (I like the 3 inch better not-tough); break off and discard outer leaves, with a knife, slice off artichoke tips, with scissors, snip thorn tips from remaining leaves.
- 2Trim dark base from stem ends and, with a knife, peel coarse fibers from stems and artichoke bottoms; Cut artichokes in HALF lengthwise,rinse well, and drain briefly.
- 3Choose a pan in which the artichokes fit close together in a single layer (6 halves fit in a 9-by 13-inch pan); if there are large spaces, the juices will scorch.
- 4(I used a metal pan lined with release foil) For each artichoke, pour 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil into pan and add 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme; Roll artichoke in oil and thyme to coat; cut side down.
- 5Slide 1 thin lemon slice and 1 peeled garlic clove under each artichoke half: The next time I make these I am adding 1/4 cup more water for more moisture. Steam: Seal pan well with foil.
- 6Bake in a 375°F oven until artichoke bottoms are tender when pierced, 40 to 50 minutes.
- 7Transfer artichokes, cut side up, to a platter; top with lemon slice& garlic and sprinkle with salt to taste. Drizzle artichokes with pan drippings; or add butter and lemon juice. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichokes Roasted
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.4
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 122.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 4.7 g