Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The basic method of cooking artichokes.
Make and share this Artichokes (How to cook) recipe from Food.com.
- Trim stem of artichokes at the base.
- Remove any tough or discolored bottom leaves.
- Cut off approximately 1-inch of the top leaves, and trim remaining tips from leaves (I use scissors).
- Rub the base and all cut parts with lemon juice.
- Using fingers, open up the center of artichokes.
- With a sturdy spoon remove and discard the fuzzy choke.
- (I omit this step at this point and do it after cooking) Combine all ingredients, except artichokes, and bring to a boil.
- Add artichokes, and partially cover and return to a boil.
- Cook until the stem end is easily pierced with a fork.
- Allow about 30 minutes for medium and 40 minutes for large artichokes.
- Remove from liquid and drain upside down.
- Serve with melted butter or horseradish sauce, or they may be stuffed.
- NOTE#1: Artichokes may be cooked ahead and re-heated by putting in simmering water for 10 minutes.
- They will keep several days in the refrigerator.
- NOTE#2: Use an enamel or stainless steel pan for cooking.
- Do not use aluminum utensils.
This is a great recipe that explains a basic method of cooking artichokes. I used this method one evening when I was too tired to do anything fancy with my artichokes but wanted something a little more than just plain boiled chokes. I did not remove the fuzzy choke prior to cooking (too much trouble) and we just scraped it out at the table. We had these with a bit of melted butter but didn't need much of that because the artichokes already had great flavor from the cooking liquid. Thanks Miss Annie, I'll be using your recipe again for sure :)