Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An appetizing first course from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Andre Poirot of Begue's, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series. Cooking time is marinating time.
- 3 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 8 artichoke hearts, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 (16 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and julienned
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and julienned
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, leaves separated and cut into shreds
- 16 cherry tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the vinaigrette: whisk all the ingredients together until emulsified.
- To make the salad: Combine first four ingredients together in a salad bowl with 3/4 cup of the vinaigrette.
- Let marinate for an hour.
- To serve, line the rims of four chilled salad plates with a few pretty romaine leaves.
- In the center of each plate, place 1/2 cup lettuce and top with 1/4 of the marinated vegetable mixture.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and drizzle a little of the remaining vinaigrette over the romaine leaves.