Recipe by mollypaul
An appetizing first course from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Andre Poirot of Begue's, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series. Cooking time is marinating time.
- 3 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 8 artichoke hearts, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 (16 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and julienned
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and julienned
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, leaves separated and cut into shreds
- 16 cherry tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the vinaigrette: whisk all the ingredients together until emulsified.
- To make the salad: Combine first four ingredients together in a salad bowl with 3/4 cup of the vinaigrette.
- Let marinate for an hour.
- To serve, line the rims of four chilled salad plates with a few pretty romaine leaves.
- In the center of each plate, place 1/2 cup lettuce and top with 1/4 of the marinated vegetable mixture.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and drizzle a little of the remaining vinaigrette over the romaine leaves.