Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This appetizer looks beautiful when served with a little parsley around the sauce in the center of the artichoke.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 slices lemons
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- In a large kettle, combine 3 cups water with olive oil, lemon slices, bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper and bring to a boil Meanwhile, trim stalks from bases of artichokes, cut a 1" slice from tops.
- Remove descolored leaves, snip off the spiky ends.
- Wash the artichokes in cold water and drain.
- Place artichokes in bottom of kettle, standing on base.
- Bring back to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered 40-50 minutes, or until artichoke bases feel soft.
- While the artichokes are cooking, Soak bread in milk for 10 minutes; squeeze hard to remove all milk.
- Place bread and garlic in food processor; blend 10 seconds or until mixture forms a paste Add egg yolks, blend until egg mixture is thick, about 10 seconds.
- Add olive oil, 1` Tbs at a time, blending constantly after each addition until thick.
- Continue until all oil has been used.
- Mixture should be thick.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper; blend a few seconds more to mix well.
- Refrigerate, tightly covered.
- Drain artichokes well.
- Let cool slightly.
- Using finger, pull out leaves at center.
- With teaspoon, remove hair choke from cavity.
- Serve artichokes, warm or cold with Aioli Sauce in cavity in center.
Crazy about artichokes, usually just cook them and serve with lemon butter. THIS was wonderful, just simply awesome