Recipe by Elmotoo
A LOVELY dish.
Top Review by awalde
This is a delicious vegetable stew!<br/>The best is with fresh artichokes, but I prepare it with canned ones and it worked very well. If you don't have fresh artichokes you can also use frozen or canned ones!<br/>Though slow simmering of the ingredients the sauce should thicken, but this depends on the quality of the potatoes as well. As Katel said on option is to add some flour to the sauce (mixed with some liquid) just before serving. Depending on the quantity of water added it's possible that you have to add some water (small quantities) from time to time and never let dry the pan at the end the potatoes should be soft but not mushy.<br/>I used less oil,I confess it, but in Greece where there is a lot of high quality olive oil, this quantity is not unusual and the sauce of this dish is delicous with some bread! You will not need meat or something more.<br/>For my taste it's not necessary to discard the dill used for cooking, but it's true that it looks nicer if you top the dish with fresh dill and serve it with lemon slices.<br/>I hope next time I will have fresh artichokes on hand!
- 8 artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 1 kg potato
- 5 carrots
- 2 to 3 lemons, juice of
- 4 spring onions
- 236.59 ml olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh dill (or 3TB dried)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the stem of the artichokes and remove the outer leaves. Carefully remove core ('choke') including fuzzy/prickly stuff of artichoke Rub each artichoke with a lemon and put all of them in bowl full of water. You will be left with just the 'heart'.
- Cut the potatoes and the spring onions in medium sized slices.
- Slice the carrots and saute them together briefly with the spring onions in a saucepan with the oil.
- Add the artichokes and the potatoes, the dill, the lemon juice, salt, pepper and enough water to cover them. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for 1/2 hour or until tender.
- Remove from pan with slotted to spoon to serving platter; discarding dill. Sprinkle with fresh dill, salt & pepper.