Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fantastic main dish for Christmas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 300 g artichoke hearts, grilled and halved
- 300 g mixed mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 500 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, plus
- 1 pinch salt, plus
- 1 tablespoon water, beaten together to glaze
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, very roughly chopped
- 142 ml sour cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat half the oil in a medium frying pan, then gently fry the onions for 12-15 mins until softened and lightly browned. Tip the onions into a bowl and mix with the artichoke hearts, season if you like and set aside. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan (there's no need to clean it) over a high-ish heat. Add the mushrooms, then stir-fry for 2-3 mins until soft, throw in the garlic and thyme and continue to cook for a minute. Remove from the heat, season well and allow to cool.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry into a rough circle about 40cm in diameter and drape over a large baking sheet.
- Pile the onions and artichokes into the middle of the pastry and spread them out evenly, leaving a 10cm border around the edge, then pile the mushrooms on top.
- Bring the edges of the pastry up over the filling. Brush the exposed pastry edge with the egg glaze. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with the sour cream and relish.