Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious savory tart. This is an adopted recipe and will require some editing before I would recommend it being made as written. Prep time includes chilling.
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup light cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- freshly ground ground pepper
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut up into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Begin the walnut pastry: process walnuts until coarsely ground.
- Add flour and salt, then place pieces of butter atop dry ingredients in the processor bowl and pulse briefly until pea-sized.
- Add egg and process just until mixture begins to hold together.
- Remove dough from processor and shape into a flattened disc; roll dough large enough to fit into 10 inch quiche or tart pan. Place crust in pan and chill for 30 minutes.
- Line chilled pastry with large sheet of aluminum foil and fill with beans or pie weights. Pre-bake crust for 15 minutes; remove from oven and set aside.
- Begin the filling: saute scallions and garlic in butter until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Combine chopped artichoke hearts, scallion and garlic mixture, cream, eggs, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the bottom of the partially baked crust.
- Pour filling over the cheese and bake the tart for 35 minutes until golden and slightly puffy.
- Let tart rest 10 minutes before cutting to serve.